The Digital Economy is about much more than e-commerce and other business technologies of the past two decades. Quest met with Lyle Ekdahl to explore the latest thinking about the Digital Economy and to discuss how Digital Transformation helps businesses to take advantage of changing business opportunities.
This post is part one of three about digital transformation.
JD Edwards solutions provide opportunities for innovation and allow organizations to embrace new technologies. We have heard you speak about Digital Transformation. Can you describe this for our readers?
Digital Transformation is all about the pervasive application of digital tools and technology to achieve hyper performance. By pairing digital technology with transformational changes in business processes and optimization of the value chain, companies unlock the potential for breakthrough performance and massive operations cost controls. The speed and agility companies gain from digital transformation enables them to seize breakout opportunities and outperform the competition.
How do we enable Digital Transformation?
Digital technologies are the enablers that connect workers to each other and to the ERP backbone to support speed and agility through real-time information and collaboration.
By digital technologies, here is what I mean.
- Mobile is now a business necessity, not a nice to have – connecting your employees wherever they are with your company’s ERP backbone.
- Wearables provide the heads-up, hands-free engagement that keeps your employees connected and productive in the midst of operational tasks.
- Augmented reality or virtual assistance provides real-time, task and location-aware information that helps people know more, do more, and do it better. It extends the reach of the ERP backbone from select staff, such as knowledge workers, to hands-on operations workers, such as field service personnel.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) helps you extend your digital connections beyond people to nodes of places and devices.
- Big Data encompasses all the data visualization and analytics technologies that help you make sense in real time out of the large amounts of data you collect from your IoT and other data collection systems.
- Cloud increases business agility through rapid provisioning of technology infrastructure and equally rapid deployment of new applications.
- Cognitive and learning technologies process natural language inputs and inquiries, and develop and communicate insights based on unstructured and structured data. One example is IBM’s Watson Health, which helps organizations to see and act upon health data patterns that previously were hidden.
- Conference Presentations (Conference presentations are a paid member benefit – contact [email protected] for more information)
- For even more information about JD Edwards and how to take advantage of JD Edwards updates and functionalities, come to our Oracle COLLABORATE conference, COLLABORATE 18.