At INFOCUS 2019, Sherri Harley from the Orlando Utilities Commission provided an update on new features delivered in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1 and 9.2 that were helpful from an HCM perspective.
Helpful New Features for HCM
The main areas of discussion included:
- Testing Heat Maps
- Testing Scripts
- Hover Forms
- HR Form Personalization Options
- Bugs Encountered During and After Upgrade
Testing Heat Maps
Sherri’s first recommendation is for users to use DWS SwifTest™ during upgrades.
She explained that DWS can significantly reduce the time and effort associated with functional testing using Dimension SwifTest™. During test execution, you can realize savings of up to 60 percent, with an additional 70 percent of savings achievable during the creation and maintenance of test scripts. When used in conjunction with Dimension Focus™, the savings can reach as much as 85 percent.
Dimension SwifTest™ has been designed specifically for EnterpriseOne. It is the easiest way to set up and execute your testing without the need for specialist test engineers or programmers. Business analysts and super users can now build their own test scripts and scenarios quickly and easily.
In layman’s terms, you no longer have to test everything after an upgrade. With DWS SwifTest™, you can pinpoint the information you need to test. The first part of the SwifTest™ involves a Heat Map, which tells how many objects are included. Next, you can go into the Heat Map and find Execution Points, or those objects that require testing. After approving and testing things in the Execution Point, you can move on to the Master Parent. Here, you will test the remaining objects with the FOCUS Tool.
Sherri recommends using DWS to automate things. This program can execute a report, hire an employee on the Test Script, and execute payroll. These scripts stay around forever, so even during the next upgrade, the scripts will still be ready to run. Scripts do not eliminate all manual actions, but they do make processes much quicker for the users. Without DWS, it’s difficult to know which objects have to be tested, so users end up testing way too many.
Hover or pop-up forms are message forms that show context-based information about a form or grid field. This helps users view information about form and grid fields without having to navigate away from their current application view.
In order for hover forms to work, the system administrator must ensure the show popup ini is enabled. You can enable or disable the hover form in the JAS.ini field or in Server Manager. Here’s how: In Server Manager, navigate to the E1 JAS instance > Web Runtime > scroll down to Show Popups > make sure the box is checked. If you have to change this setting, be sure to restart the web services.
Delivered/predefined hover form applications include:
- P044700 Supplier Information
- P03B700 Customer Information
- P01700 Address Book Information
- P41700 Item Master Information
- P0801 Employee Information
On the HCM Hover Forms for Employee Information, you can make sure hover information is connected by the existence of orange dots next to employee numbers. Clicking an orange dot reveals four tabs:
- Main: Shows employment status, route code, and email address for the relevant employee
- Organization: Defines the company, business unit, job type, supervisor, and start date
- Profile: Shows pay status, pay class, pay grade, benefit group, and uniform code
- Collaborate: Shows the email address with a hyperlink that opens up an email draft so you can contact the individual directly
These tabs provide a quick look at the employee instead of requiring you to go into the employee information form.
HR Form Personalization Options
Form personalization options include:
For Hiding/Showing, you will follow the steps below:
- Access the desired form you would like to customize.
- Click the Personal Form Manager Icon in the top right corner.
- Personal Forms Manager Opens
- Click on the red minus sign to remove from the form.
- Access the “Hide” feature in 1 of 2 ways.
- Click on the “Hide” Button
- Right-click and select “Hide”
- You can also simplify things by hiding an entire tab by clicking on the “Hide button” in the top corner.
As a warning to others, Sherri shared the bugs her team encountered during and after the upgrade.
Bugs Encountered During Upgrade
- SSN Masking in all applications & reports note id 2455166.
- Dependent not un-enrolling – Bug 29548356
- P0801/P00092 Interconnect broken (Was not acknowledged as a bug)
- P050210 Supl Data by Data Type not showing description – Bug 24366276
- *Public corrupt moved security to *Inquiry
- P986162 OK missing green check mark
Bugs Encountered After Upgrade
- Tax Method 2 is putting all wages into excludable bucket – Bug 28241574. Employee is exempt but wages are not excludable.
- HR Employee profile P060116 not displaying pay period salary for hourly employees – Bug 29877829
- Public corrupt moved to Inquiry
- W01111I – Ok missing green checkmark
- P986110B – Delete missing garbage can
To learn more about new features in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1 and 9.2 that are helpful for HCM users and the experience that the Orlando Utilities Commission had, check out the INFOCUS 19 presentation attached below.
COLLABORATE 20 will take place April 19-23, 2020 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada! Call for Presentations is now open. Don’t miss your chance to share your stories, insights, and advice with the Quest Oracle Community! Submit an abstract by October 11, 2019, to be considered to be a speaker at the conference.
Save the date for Quest Experience Week! This free, four-day event is jam-packed with digital education designed to provide both strategic insight and how-to-education for Oracle users of all levels. Each day is dedicated to a different product and begins with a keynote followed by afternoon breakout sessions. Join us November 12-15, 2019, for conference-quality education from the comfort of your desk!
- Cloud Day: November 12
- Database Day: November 13
- PeopleSoft Day: November 14
- JD Edwards Day: November 15
If you’re looking for more JD Edwards content, join us next year at INFOCUS 20, the premier deep-dive JD Edwards focused event of the year! The event will take place August 25-27, 2020 in Denver, Colorado. Keep an eye out for more information on this event!