There has been no shortage of attention on the advantages artificial intelligence and generative AI bring to enterprises — from real-time customer engagement to on-the-spot analysis and remediation of issues or anomalies. Behind all the wonders that AI brings, however, is the workhorse that must be attended behind the scenes—databases and associated data environments. Data managers acknowledge that in many cases, today’s current data environments inhibit progress, and improvement requires more targeted investment in automation and infrastructure. Data needs to be secure, highly available, and viable for AI and other advanced initiatives to succeed within enterprises.
A recent survey of data executives and managers identified these factors as many of their top-of-mind concerns, all well as actions they are taking to build data-driven capabilities in their enterprises. The survey of 217 companies was conducted by Unisphere Research, a division of Information Today, Inc., in partnership with Dell EMC, among members of the Quest Oracle Community. Conducted between December 2022 and January 2023, the survey includes the views and experiences of IT directors, architects/engineers, C-level executives, and database administrators. Industries represented include IT services, healthcare/life sciences, software development, and financial services. (More details about our respondents are found within the “Demographics” section at the end of the report.)
The following are key results and observations from the survey:
- Competitiveness: Most respondents say database management requirements still slow organizational advancement.
- Data burdens: Security is still the costliest activity, while more executives report cost burdens associated with maintaining uptime.
- Abstraction: Virtualization and Database-as-a-Service are viewed as the most promising solutions to most effectively align data to enterprises.
- Choices and upgrades: Performance and cost matter the most in vendor selection, and enterprises are accelerating efforts to keep ahead.
- Security and business continuity: For an overwhelming threatscape, more cloud, all the time.
Download the full report to learn more