Dimitri Gielis, the founder of AOP and APEX R&D, wrote about the best and cheapest Oracle APEX hosting – Oracle Cloud Free Tier. The following post shares Gielis’ thoughts, originally shared in his blog, on Oracle Cloud Free Tier.
Best and Cheapest Oracle APEX Hosting
I really have to write about the Oracle Cloud Free Tier as it’s the third time in my career I’ve been blown away by Oracle.
The Free Oracle Tier is a hardcore smackdown on any other cloud offering which includes a virtual machine, database, and development environment!
The Free Oracle Cloud was announced by Andy Mendelsohn at Oracle Open World 2019.
You get a free Oracle Autonomous Database, 2 Virtual Machines (Compute), Storage and other services, including:
There’s nothing like this Oracle offering on the market. The best database in the world, running on amazing hardware and all of this for free. This is not just for APEX Developers, this is for anybody who wants a datastore or virtual machine in the cloud without wanting to manage things themselves.
Jon, from JMJ Cloud, wrote RIP Exadata Express, where do I run my RAD stack now?, the answer today for me is in the Free Oracle Autonomous Oracle Cloud. For many of my customers, I also used the Exadata Express service before, as it was ideal to start developing new Oracle APEX apps. The Free Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud is a better version of what Exadata Express has ever been. I would always start my development in this new free Oracle Cloud offering as it allows you to scale up while you grow.
I really believe everybody should sign-up for this service. As with every new service, the beginning might have some hiccups, but to me, it’s worth starting with this service straight away.
I signed up for the Free Oracle Cloud in multiple regions, and love it so far.
So, I thought to write a series of blog posts on how you can get started:
- Sign-up for Free Oracle Cloud
- Setup Autonomous Transaction Cloud (ATP)
- Connecting with SQL Developer (Desktop) to ATP
- Connecting with SQL Developer Web to ATP
- Setup APEX in ATP and create the first APEX app
- Create a VM Instance (Compute Cloud)
- Setup a Webserver on the Compute Instance (VM)
- Setup APEX Office Print (AOP) to export to PDF, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, HTML, and Text
- Setup Object Storage and use for File Share and Backups
- Running SQLcl and Datapump from the Compute Instance (VM) to ATP
- Sending Emails with APEX_MAIL on ATP
- Create a 2nd Compute Instance and a Load Balancer
- Final things to take away
- Message: Your Oracle Cloud Free Trial has expired (but FREE keeps running)
- Error: The request could not be mapped to any database
COLLABORATE 20 will take place April 19-23, 2020 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada! Don’t miss this chance to share inspiration, insights, and solutions with your peers, vendors, and the Oracle team! Register before March 6, 2020, to take advantage of Early Bird pricing.
Save the date for Quest Experience Week! This free, four-day event is jam-packed with digital education designed to provide both strategic insight and how-to-education for Oracle users of all levels. Each day is dedicated to a different product and begins with a keynote followed by afternoon breakout sessions. Join us November 12-15, 2019, for conference-quality education from the comfort of your desk!
- Cloud Day: November 12
- Database Day: November 13
- PeopleSoft Day: November 14
- JD Edwards Day: November 15