Aaron Engelsrud, Senior PeopleSoft System Administrator at Capella University, presented a technical and functional primer for PeopleSoft Cloud Manager. His presentation included a detailed step-by-step introduction to the installation of PeopleSoft Cloud Manager on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, installation and configuration overview, and a hands-on demonstration of PeopleSoft Cloud Manager.
What is PeopleSoft Cloud Manager?
PeopleSoft Cloud Manager is a new, free PeopleSoft application that runs on Oracle Cloud. To utilize it, customers must have a subscription to Oracle Cloud. It is delivered through Oracle Marketplace and has the familiar look and feel of Fluid UI.
PeopleSoft Cloud Manager has changed the way applications are deployed and where they run. This tool gives customers the chance to automate the process of the installation and deployment of Cloud. Cloud Manager was built upon basic functionality that already existed within the Deployment Framework.
What Can You Do with PeopleSoft Cloud Manager?
With PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, you get many of the benefits of running in the Cloud without the cost of changing products. It changes the way applications are managed. Some of the benefits of PeopleSoft Cloud Manager include:
- Automating provisioning of applications in the Cloud
- Utilizing PUM Images available from the Oracle Marketplace
- Managing applications with higher efficiency
- Applying PeopleTools upgrades and patches with one click
There are four main objectives within PeopleSoft Cloud Manager. With this feature, customers can execute Cloud computing, Life Cycle Management, migration to Oracle Cloud, and self-service provisioning.
- Cloud Computing: With Cloud computing in PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, you will have elastic scaling based on demand. Your technology platform will always be current and patched. You will also have access to industry-leading, secure environments.
- Lifecycle Management: Lifecycle Management with PeopleSoft Cloud Manager provides you with a subscription to update release channels. You will also have complete environment management and automated applications patching.
- Migration to Oracle Cloud: With PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, you can Lift and Shift existing environments to Oracle Cloud. This migration will backup and restore your configurations, data, and customizations to Oracle Cloud. You can also clone this process for additional environments.
- Self-Service Provisioning: Self-Service provisioning with PeopleSoft Cloud Manager will provide you with on-demand environments for specific use cases. This template-driven provisioning enables business users and provides unique topology definitions.
Requirements for Using PeopleSoft Cloud Manager
In order to get started with PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, subscribers will need all of the following:
- Oracle Licensing Requirements
- License required for Lift and Shift instances
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Access
- Compute Classic – must have
- Object Storage Classic – must have
- Database Cloud Service – optional
- Users and Roles
- Ability to create SSH Keys
- Oracle Cloud user ID and password
- My Oracle Support account ID and password
- Port numbers – specific to what you want in your environment
- Default Internet access
How to Install PeopleSoft Cloud Manager
In order to install PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, follow these steps:
- Get all of the information needed for installation
- Obtain a Linux image and Windows image from Cloud Marketplace
- Upload your public SSH key to Compute Classic
- Setup the necessary security in Compute Classic
- Initiate deployment of Cloud Manager via Cloud Marketplace
- Use the Instance Configuration Wizard to set up Cloud Manager
- Create a file server in Cloud Manager
More detailed PeopleSoft Cloud Manager installation instructions can be found here.
Quick Tips and Tricks for Installing PeopleSoft Cloud Manager
- Gather required information in a text document ahead of PCM installation
- Cloud Username
- REST endpoints
- Port Standards
- Cloud Service ID
- Read through entire installation process ahead of the start time
- Do not be afraid to destroy and start over
Important Concepts to Know
There are a few important concepts to know for PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, including:
- A collection of deployment packages
- Think: CRM PeopleSoft Image Download
- Manage your subscriptions
- A definition of a PeopleSoft system
- Defines compute nodes and PeopleSoft Services running on those nodes
- Includes a Topology and Application Package
- Defines a complete PeopleSoft System
- PeopleSoft Instance Running on the Cloud
Demonstrations of PeopleSoft Cloud Manager
During his presentation, Aaron gave several real-time demonstrations. Check out the videos of those demonstrations below.
PeopleSoft Cloud Manager Homepage and Settings
Environment Template Tile
To learn more about PeopleSoft Cloud Manager, check out the additional resources attached below.
COLLABORATE 20 will take place April 19-23, 2020 at the Mandala Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada! Call for Presentations is now open. Don’t miss your chance to share your stories, insights, and advice with the Quest Oracle Community! Submit an abstract by October 11, 2019, to be considered to be a speaker at the conference.
Save the date for Quest Experience Week! This free, four-day event is jam-packed with digital education designed to provide both strategic insight and how-to-education for Oracle users of all levels. Each day is dedicated to a different product and begins with a keynote followed by afternoon breakout sessions. Join us November 12-15, 2019, for conference-quality education from the comfort of your desk!
- Cloud Day: November 12
- Database Day: November 13
- PeopleSoft Day: November 14
- JD Edwards Day: November 15
If you’re looking for more PeopleSoft content, join us next year at RECONNECT 20, the premier deep-dive PeopleSoft focused event of the year! The event will take place July 21-23, 2020 in St. Louis, Missouri. Keep an eye out for more information on this event!